Search this website:
GATE - Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering
- Categorized in: GATE
OBJECTIVES OF GATE
- Identify, at the National level, meritorious and motivated candidates
for admission to Postgraduate Programmes in Engineering, Technology,
Architecture, Science and Pharmacy.
- Serve as a mandatory qualification for the MHRD scholarship/assistantship.
- Serve as benchmark of normalization of the Undergraduate Engineering
Education in the
Why should we take GATE:
To pursue M.Tech program in a leading institute of the country. The benefits of M.Tech are:
- More and better companies are coming for Campus Placement in leading Institutes
- Higher salaries are being offered for M.Tech as compared to B.E.
- M.Tech degree leads to specialization and furthering of interest in a certain area which may lead to Ph.D
- M.Tech degree is a must for those wishing to apply for Faculty/Research positions in educational Institutes/R&D centers.
- Scholarship is paid during M.Tech, so no headache to parents for financial requirements.
- The M.Tech program is a 3 semester (18 months) program; so get more time to work out career opportunities.
- MOST IMPORTANTLY to get to be a part of any Nationally reputed Educational Institute and enjoy learning and research.
- Availability of GATE forms: October, 1st week
- Last Date for filling up forms: November, 1st week
- Exam Date: 2nd Sunday of February
- Results: March 31st
General Information and Results are also published on the Web.
- The examination is a single paper of 3 hours duration and generally consists of Section A (Objective Type) which is of 75 marks and Section B (Problem Type) which is of 75 marks. Total: 150 marks.
- You have to opt for your subject and study as per the syllabus mentioned in the GATE brochure (available in the Library).
- The subjects of our interest are Computer Science and Engineering, Electronics & Communication Engineering., Electrical Engineering and Instrumentation Engineering. Other subjects are also available such as Mathematics, Physics, etc (consult the GATE brochure).
- Generally a large number of students appear for the Computer Science subject in order to do a M.Tech in Computer Science.
- Old question papers are available in the shops.
- Results of qualified candidates in GATE will give All India Rank and indicate percentile score. For example, a percentile score of 99 means you are in the top 1% category of the candidates who appeared for GATE.
- Candidates who get less than 70 percentile get no score card.
- GATE scores are valid for 2 years. You may reappear the GATE exam if you are not satisfied with the earlier score and the new score (if better than the old one) will be used for admission purposes.
After the Exam, what next:
- After publication of GATE results, students must apply to individual Institutes to get their application forms.
- Institutes advertise M.Tech admissions in leading newspapers from 1st April till end July. However some Institutes do not advertise and therefore students have to get the forms themselves.
- In the application forms, you have to mention your GATE score alongwith other details.
- The concerned Institute may conduct written test and/or interview for the purpose of admission.
- General thumb rules: If your Gate score in Computer Science is 96 percentile or more then you can try for IITs, if between 85 - 96 percentile, then apply for top RECs, JADAVPUR, SHIBPUR, ROORKEE, etc. If less than 85, you have to look for appropriate institutes.
During the pursuit of M.Tech, you are paid a scholarship of Rs. 5000.00 per month by the Government of India. This amount is enough for living expenses including purchase of books, etc. The scholarship is paid for the entire 18 months M.Tech period.
I encourage 3rd year students to also appear GATE alongwith Final Year students since:
- GATE score is valid for 2 years.
- The syllabus as required by GATE is generally over by 5th semester.
- Anyway, it will be a good try ! If it is a bad score you can always try again.
Email to Friend
Fill in the form below to send this article to a friend: